Tuesday, November 20, 2007

DRESSING FOR THANKSGIVING

Ever since I can remember I dressed up for the holidays. As a young girl my mom encouraged me to wear cute skirts and sweaters, never just jeans. It was an occasion, just like going to church, and I needed to dress special to make it more momentous than just any regular day. So this thought of dressing up was ingrained in me. I remember in the early nineties wearing stirrup patterned leggings and an Irish wool sweater my mom had bought me in Ireland to Thanksgiving dinner. My senior year in high school- knee highs, a corduroy skirt, and 3/4 sleeve turtleneck sweater. One Thanksgiving in college my grandmother bought me a darling red pea coat - I wore it everywhere that season. When my now husband and I first started dating and I also began visiting his family for the holidays, I asked what should I wear? His reply, what do you mean for Thanksgiving? To me any special day deserves a special attire and of course these days jeans are quite different than they were 10 years ago - a great pair of designer jeans, cute sweater, and chic shoes are perfectly acceptable. However with dresses not being 'too dressy' it is also easy to throw on a sweater dress and leggings or tunic, opaque tights and boots.
Here are some great choices for 'dressing' for Thanksgiving. Count your blessings and give thanks in style.

Milly Kaleidoscope silk twill dress. Milly can be found at Marella in Mountain Brook Village.







Vince cashmere sweater dress $290 Saks Fifth Avenue at The Summit.






Saks Fifth Avenue Advertisement Saturdays at Saks


Since chill may be factor this turkey day layer this over a turtleneck. Harvest Tunic $48 Francesca's Collection at The Summit.







Orion of London goldfish tunic dress $148- layer, layer, layer! Pair this with a black turtleneck, black leggings, and shoe booties for the perfect fall look, Swank 35223 in Mountain Brook Village.







Diane von Furstenberg geometric tunic dress on sale today $315 at Saks Fifth Avenue at The Summit.


Noteworthy: Saks is having a huge designer sale TODAY visit the store or online at www.saks.com!

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

It was ingrained in me as well to always dress up on the holidays!

Angela said...

Love it, love it, love it! It is essential for us style gals to always be stylish even if it means simply throwing on a jersey dress and leggings! You can add boots and chain necklace and voila you are set for any occasion and you are not too dressy or too under dressed.

elizabeth said...

Cute story - love the stirrup pants mention we forgot how stylish those were in the early nineties.

Holly said...

Love the Thanksgiving outfits!

Missbetty said...

great dresses for any occassions!

Diane said...

Cute piece!

Lindsay said...

Cute, cute, now we must tackle Christmas!