Tuesday, May 29, 2007

WHERE DO YOU SUMMER?

These local Birminghamians share where they plan to summer this year. Do you have exciting summer plans? Post and you will be entered to WIN a fabulous wicker beach bag!

"My summer getaway is usually at Lake Martin . Our lake house has been a home away from home for 20 something years. I LOVE IT! From the moment I get up, I enjoy every bit of that lake....walk straight out onto the deck to experience its pristine calmness with my cup of coffee. About mid morning, even if you don't exercise, most people tend to get out beneath ALL of the pine trees for a stroll or jog to pull in some of that clean, fresh air. Then off to the lake for a float...there are no waves crashing up against you, and you can just sit and RELAX and do NOTHING for hours. It is just heavenly! And of course for meals, you can always head over by boat to Sinclair's (the old Kowliga restaurant) or other lakefront restaurants to enjoy a peaceful bite while watching the sun set. Oh, and how could I forget about the unlimited amount of water sports and activities……….from skiing to fishing and the list goes on!! This place is paradise in Alabama." Ryan Graham, Masseuse
For more information on Lake Martin visit www.lakemartin.com

"I'm very excited about going to Sun Valley, Idaho this summer. I've never been before, but my aunt and uncle go almost every year, and they are very gracious to let us use their place during our trip. When I was young, my cousins would regale me and my sister with stories of their trips to Sun Valley, so I can't wait to finally see for myself. It seems like there is an array of outdoor activities to enjoy--from biking to hiking and even fly fishing. But there is also a resort town to enjoy when you might not be feeling quite as outdoorsy. It's the best of both worlds! Plus, it will be a nice break from the hot and humid Alabama July." Callie Sullins, Burr & Forman
For more information visit www.sunvalley.com

"When I have a free weekend over the summer (which isn't often), I go to my parents house on Lake Martin. It's right outside of Dadeville and just about 1 1/2 hours away, so an easy drive and quick getaway! I never was a lake person growing up, but going to Lake Martin this past few years has changed my perspective! I could lay out there all day reading books and magazines, swimming, or going on the boat or seadoo. Of course you have to take the trip to Chimney Rock! I've jumped once, but just from the middle level. It's always a huge party there, especially on the holidays! Usually other folks from Birmingham are down there too and it's a great place to anchor down and meet up!" Lacey Bacchus, Vulcan Park

"I can't wait to go to San Diego. You can lie on the beach all day, and there's lots of sunshine without all the humidity. The pool at the historic Hotel Del Coronado is fun too. It's a great place to people watch and they have delicious frozen drinks. Or, you can rent a convertible and drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to La Jolla to do some shopping. I love to cruise along with the top down and the radio up and take in the ocean views along the PCH, they are beautiful. At night you can do dinner and dancing at an number of fun places in the gaslamp quarter. And, although it sounds cheesy, the zoo and Sea World are great too." Emily Peers, Bayer Properties/The Summit
For more information visit www.hoteldel.com

11 comments:

jennifer said...

I am planning to visit my aunt's house at Rosemary Beach. It is a fairytale there with gorgeous key west style homes lining the cobblestone streets and the beach. I love to walk barefeet on Rosemary's greens and along the white sand beaches. The Pensione has a delicious restaurant and the shops in Rosemary are so cute. It is such a great getaway and only hours from Birmingham.

Unknown said...

I am going back home to Honolulu this summer. I am sooo excited! I love waking up and heading to the beach of my choice: North Shore, Ko’olina, the choices are endless. I love shopping all over the island of Oahu & in the evening, I love going out for drinks and to the fabulous hotspots with my girls back home! Also surely love being surrounded by fabulous surfer boys once again. ;) It is great touching base with my family and friends & reintegrating myself back into my island life.

Jenifer said...

My husband and I will be going to Rosemary Beach for our annual summer trip. Rosemary is our absolute favorite beach destination. The neighborhood is beautiful without being pretentious and the quaint shops offer an enjoyable alternative to spending all day on the beach.

We're also going to Charlotte, North Carolina for a quick weekend getaway. Neither of us have been to Charlotte so anyone who has a favorite restaurant that we shouldn't miss please let me know!

Lake Martin Voice said...

I agree with those who enjoy Lake Martin! Nice blog! FYI - I have a blog about the Lake Martin area, with news and real estate info - Lake Martin Voice.

www.LakeMartinVoice.com

Thanks,

John

Mel said...

My husband and I are planning to visit Charleston. It is our favorite city full of culture and romance. We love eating at The Peninsula Grill and staying at Charleston Place which is conveniently located near Market Street. We also love having drinks at the Library roof top bar and enjoying brunch on Sunday. There is no food quite like that in Charleston. We are also planning on going out in the boat with friends and enjoying the gorgeous weather.

Beth said...

I cannot wait to visit our condo in Destin. The pristine white sand beaches, the great kayaking, and the beautiful blue water make for the perfect beach getaway that has every look and feel of the Caribbean without the crowded beaches and slightly tacky resorts. I feel so lucky to have the beaches of South Walton (the world's most beautiful charming beaches) in driving distance.

Mandy said...

I cannot wait to go to my friend's wedding in The Hamptons. It is in Bridgehampton and I am so excited about all the festivties! From a brunch in East Hampton to the wedding on the beach, this event is going to be the highlight of my summer. Oh how wonderful to summer in the Hamptons:)

Mel said...

I am going to Miami with friends and can't wait to visit South Beach!

wendy said...

I will be going to visit our condo in Destin. There is nothing quite as beautiful as the blue water and white sand in the summer at those beaches. I enjoy kayaying and going out on the boat to see the dolphins. I love eating at Thirty-A and Borago too. It is the perfect relaxing getaway and so easy to get to.

cassie said...

I have stayed at The Hotel Del Coronoda and loved it!

molly said...

I love going to Lake Martin in the summer!