Wednesday, September 19, 2007

BELK BASH

Belk partnered with the Junior League of Birmingham to put on a sophis soiree at The Summit store September 8. When I first heard of the Parisian/Belk merger I did not know what to expect and felt a huge feeling of loss for Birmingham. Over the past several months I have done my Belk research and discovered that Belk's goal is to keep the upscale brands that Parisian carried while adding on new ones. In addition for anyone who has visited the Charlotte store, this shopping mecca is in fact upscale, charming, and leaves nothing to scoff at. So as I entered the soiree at The Summit with valet service and pralines being prepared for guests outside in a huge copper pot, I realized that this wasn't your typical retail event, this was a swanky affair. As guests entered they were offered champagne or vodka tonic. Trays of tenderloin, smoked salmon, and mini hamburgers made their way passed while tall models showcased several designers.

My husband and I made our way through the crowd to familiar faces and found many young professionals in the mix. The band played jazz and a full bar was open to guests. My husband's favorite was watching a Cuban cigar man hand roll cigars. (This is also a favorite activity for him to watch during the holidays at Neiman Marcus in Atlanta). It was during this time I learned that Belk's plan was to double the size of its Summit shoe department. Every fashionista loves a huge upscale shoe department! Am I easily swayed by pralines, gift bags, and shoes? No, but I certainly am impressed with our new Belk.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

This event sounds fun and I am very interested in the expanding shoe department - will they still carry the shoe brands Parisian carried???

Mandy said...

I heard about the shoe department- very fun!

Sara said...

I heard this was a fun party! Way to go Belk for such a chic party!