Tuesday, October 30, 2007

ARE YOU AWARE WHEN YOUR MAKEUP IS GETTING SPOOKY?

by Jestina Howard

Is It Time to Throw Your Makeup Away? The reality is old makeup can be scary! Being a makeup artist for 20 years, I've consulted with a lot of ladies and one thing I've noticed when looking through their makeup bags or drawers is most ladies don't know when to throw away their cosmetics. I've run across blue eye shadow from the 70s and frosted pink lipstick from the 80s THIS year, that's not good!

Here is a simple guide of how long you should keep your products:
Mascara- 3 months
Lipgloss and Lipstick- 1-2 years
Pencil Eyeliner- 2 years
Liquid and Gel Eyeliner- 6-8 months
Loose and Pressed Face Powder - 2 years
Powder Eyeshadow and Blush- 2 years
Cream Eyeshadow and Blush - 12-18 months
Cream Concealer and Compact Foundation- 12-18 months
Oil Free Liquid Foundation- 1 year
Natural/Mineral Foundations- 6-8 months
Nailpolish- 1 year


If you're STILL not sure when to throw something away keep these two things in mind:
1. If it smells bad or have a distinct odor, get rid of it quick!
2. If you don't remember when you bought the product, throw it away immediately!
Also I have found the coolest and easiest way to keep up with when to retire products- Timestrips. They are single use, disposable expiration stickers you place on your products which track both time and temperature. 50 strips per pack $14.50, available at http://www.timestrip.com/.

Stay beautilious,
Jestina
Pro Makeup Artist/Founder
of Aware Cosmetics & Makeup Services

6 comments:

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Thank you for reminding me - I never think about this like I should!

Jane said...

Hmmm - this my answer as to why I am having facial blemishes currently.

Jeanie said...

Love Love Love this info!!!

Anne said...

Thank you for the tips Jestina - I forget these things all the time!

Leigh said...

great tips Jestina!