Monday, October 22, 2007

THE DEVIL MAY WEAR PRADA, BUT ANGELS WEAR RALPH LAUREN

Thank God for fashion. I was looking back and contemplating how my passion to be in fashion media began. Was there a deciding point? It occurred to me that throughout out my life there were signs and decisions that sent me in this direction. From the idea of hosting a Fashion TV show for tweens at age 10 to designing my own homecoming dress to subscribing to Harper's Bazaar at age 14 to being Fashion Editor of my college paper. The stars truly aligned to get me where I am today. I remember the feeling of 'having to move to New York', not just a want or desire but a deep ingrained calling to fulfill a dream I had since childhood. As I moved with no job, I still felt this calling and I knew I just had to do it. Meeting Ingela Ratledge at Us Weekly led to a part time job there and I also found a part time job at the Anna Sui boutique in New York. The stress of not having a full time job was taking its toll. I wondered how could I afford to be in this expensive city? After interviewing for full time positions at Us Weekly, Rolling Stone, Health, and Sport Illustrated, I waited - my hope was for the Us Weekly position to come through, because I loved the environment.

I remember it being a cold night and praying as I walked down Madison Avenue to my apartment for a sign should I stay? Is this for me? I loved walking down Madison Avenue because I found solace in fashion - whether or not I could afford it, I at least could appreciate the incredible access to it that New York provided. To me it was inspiring to be around such creativity, such style. As I walked past Barney's, Valentino, Donna Karan, I decided to go into the Ralph Lauren boutique and look around. I encountered a sales clerk from Texas and she quickly picked up on my Southern accent. She then proceeded to tell me how she had such a hard time when she moved and she just couldn't find a job. But she stuck with it and now was acclimated to the city and enjoyed every second of it. I left the store without any purchases but full of new encouragement. Those were the words I needed to hear. I called my boyfriend to tell him of my new Southern encounter and as we were talking, I had another call on my cell. I switched over to find a full time offer for Senior Advertising Coordinator at Us Weekly. That day changed my life and it has been uphill ever since, challenging yes, but everyday inspiring.

So Ralph Lauren may be known as a billion-dollar fashion business, but to me an angel in really great clothes.

8 comments:

Tres Chic Consulting said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tres Chic Consulting said...

This is great Amy...we all need those fashion angels in our lives to give us a chance and give us direction. Need I say more?

Helen said...

It is always inspiring to hear other people's stories - I love hearing about people and their passion and drive.

elizabeth said...

Oh NY how I miss it - love that you posted this story.

Jeanie said...

Cute!

Catherine said...

Love this story!

MissTiffany said...

Very well written!

Jane said...

Cute cute story Mrs. Bailey.